FLOWRIDER, PLANET HOLLYWOOD
Not to be mistaken with the glam rap sensation Flo Rida (though he did shoot a music video here at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino not too long ago!), the FlowRider wave machine rocks. Even if you’re not an expert surfer or snowboarder (trust me, I’m far from both!), this is your chance to get on that level. Or at least feel like you’re there.
You may have zero athletic ability or balance, but as long as you go in knowing you’re going to wipe out and fly off your board, you’ll be fine. It doesn’t hurt one bit. I was on the body board and it did take a few tries to get my balance right. You can either be daring and jump from the top or do what I did and kick off the wall from the bottom. Keeping your body straight is key for riding the wave. You’ll also have full control of the board by steering it like a wheel. If you’re surfing, one of the lifeguards can help you find your balance. Even if you wipe out, it’s both fun and hilarious.
My hubby and I both had a blast and liked how we could just dip at the nearby adults-only pool afterward. There are locker rooms if you plan on staying all day, as well as foosball and a bevy of beer and cocktail selections.
Admission is $25 for 30 minutes. All-day passes are available if you want to perfect your skills. Guests must be at least 48″ to ride. The FlowRider is located a few steps before the pool bar and adults-only pool. (Photo courtesy of Eric Kabik.)
- Try to go as early as possible or late afternoon. It’s hot!
- The check-in station rents out rash guards (similar to Dri-Fit T-shirts), as well as wetsuits for the colder season.
- There’s a shaded area a couple steps away where you can store your belongings. If you have valuables, there are for lockers closer to the family-friendly pool.
ARCTIC ICE ROOM AND ROMAN BATHS, QUA BATHS & SPA AT CAESARS PALACE
Snow in Vegas is shocking on its own, but during the summer? We know it sounds crazy, but it’s true. Located in Caesars Palace, the 50,000-square-foot Qua Baths & Spa is full of surprises – the Arctic Ice Room being one of them.
After a treatment or a visit from the herbal steam room, cool down in the Strip’s only Arctic Ice Room. Snow falls from its domed ceiling, providing you with the ultimate cool-down session.This will definitely relieve you from the scorching Vegas heat. The Arctic Ice Room has one long bench, along with two solo ones. I sat in the solo bench closest to the wall because I wanted the snow to fall right on me.
Once you’re done with this refreshing amenity, kick back in the relaxation lounge and enjoy a wide selection of teas and refreshments. Other spa amenities include the Roman bathing area (pictured above). Here you’ll find heated tubs and a cool plunge. And since the view here is so peaceful, I wouldn’t blame if you decide to hang out on one of the nearby chaises all day. You’ll probably see me doing the exact same thing.
Aside from the chilling-and-thrilling Arctic Ice Room and Roman baths, Qua also offers tons of relaxing treatments catered to suit your skin’s needs..
- Bring a bathing suit or ask front desk to provide you one. Since the Roman baths and Arctic Ice Room are for women only, your birthday suit will do just fine.
- Since the Arctic Ice Room gets chilly, you might want to keep your robe on or wrap a towel around your body. The spa provides towels by the nearby whirlpool.
- The spa’s signature sweet tea is not to be missed. Sticking with water? Bottled water is available throughout the relaxation area. The tea lounge also has water drops, catered to your body’s specific needs.
- My personal favorite treatment is the Hawaiian-inspired Lomi Lomi massage. Besides the invigorating tropical scents, the unique massage techniques helped soothe every ache in my body. Aloha!
- Take your time and don’t rush out of here – this is your day to relax.
FRRROZEN HOT CHOCOLATE, SERENDIPITY 3 AT CAESARS PALACE
What better way to treat your taste buds during the year’s hottest season? This year, National Ice Cream Day(yes, it’s a thing) falls on Sunday, July 19. Whether you’re here to celebrate the holiday or simply to celebrate your time off, Serendipity 3 is definitely one of our favorite summertime havens on the Strip.
Try Serendipity 3’s signature Frrrozen Hot Chocolate. And while it has “hot” in the name, don’t get it twisted: It has the creamy, smooth taste of hot cocoa, but comes in a thick, ice-blended form – clearly the best of both worlds. You can also choose from a variety of flavors like double chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, Oreo, mint, amaretto or mochaccino. Serendipity 3 also shows some vegan love: If you’re dining in, they can accommodate to your dairy-free diet and blend fresh fruit with crushed ice.
- In a rush? Serendipity 3 has a walk-up window and a covered outdoor seating area, complete with misters. It doesn’t offer the complete menu but if you’re getting your Frrrozen Hot Chocolate fix, you’re good to go.
- If you can stay for a while, opt for the Strip side patio seating, which offers great Las Vegas people-watching.
Fifteen acres of pure paradise. Are you ready for it?
You may not be in the tropics, but Flamingo Las Vegas’ lush Beach Club Pool and GO Pool could have fooled us! This is one of the Strip’s most beautiful pools. You may be in the middle of the desert, but here you’ll find tons of palm trees, waterfalls and even a shaded grotto to escape the sun.
If you’re 21 or older and looking for a more energetic vibe, GO Pool is your best bet. GO Pool offers fruity cocktails and live DJ music. Bring all your friends and rent a daybed or cabana, complete with waterfall views and a private pool.
Bringing the kiddos? The Beach Club Pool is a more relaxed, family-friendly environment. Surrounded by the resort’s breathing landscaping, relax in one of the loungers on the pool’s ledge or have a blast going down the pool’s waterslide.
While you’re here, you can check out the nearby Wildlife Habitat. It’s not every day you see pink flamingos, exotic birds, turtles and koi fish on the Strip.
- Spend a little extra dough on a cabana. You can enjoy air conditioning, chilled fruit and other refreshments. And what the hey – it’s always nice to have your own space!
- Make the most of your tropical experience and order an island-inspired cocktail.
And last – but most certainly not least – nothing shrieks summertime more than a cooling cocktail.
I prefer drinks from Squeeze at the LINQ Promenade. I’m not a hardcore juicehead, but these fresh-pressed drinks hit the spot – especially when it’s 110-plus degrees out! Your bartender mixes real fruit juice with your favorite alcoholic beverages. It makes your cocktail experience much more refreshing.
I’ve tried the Cold Apple Pie, which consists of Fireball whisky, apple, carrot, celery, ginger root and nutmeg. My gluten-free friend ordered the Berry Fine. It’s made with Tito’s Handmade vodka (a gluten-free liquor), raspberries, orange, cranberries and strawberries. You can read Squeeze’s tasty drink menu to discover more juice-infused concoctions.
For those who miss the 7-Eleven Slurpee days, hit up Purple Zebra, also located at The LINQ Promenade. (There’s also another location inside the hotel’s casino). It’s a self-serve daiquiri bar so go crazy. But not too crazy to the point you start seeing purple zebras. We hear Peachy Keen is a customer favorite.
Honorable mention: Try any of the hand-crafted cocktails at Bound, The Cromwell’s posh hotel lobby bar.
- Stay hydrated – and by hydrated, we don’t mean more alcohol! Keep water in your system, even if it means buying a bottle of water every time you get a drink. Otherwise, the heat and alcohol will intensify your buzz (and not in a good way).
- Find somewhere to sit. We know you’ll be walking around, but it’s OK to take a break here and there. Most bars, lounges and restaurants have comfortable seating so you can rest and regain your energy.
Stay cool, my friends.